Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Been a while

since I've posted.

AS THE summer of 2006 fades, I think a recap is in order. I spent a week in Colorado, catching trout with Dan Sheats (see his blog). My best fish measured in at 24 inches. That's a good trout, and I had a blast landing him. Here's a few pictures from that trip with Sheats in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison

My monster
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My favorite camode in all of the Americas
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sheats fishing the Gunnison
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And here's another picture of the Gunnison:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I ALSO did some fishing this summer on Hoopers Island. On this blog, I've posted several pictures from the Island. I love Hoopers Island. It is quiet, peaceful, and isolated. Cell phones do not work there, and as far as I'm concerned, no finer living can be found anywhere in the whole world as that found on Hoopers Island, so long as you don't mind relentless hoards of biting flies. Here's a few images taken down there this summer.

This is the house. It is an old hunting club called South Hoopers Island Tolling Society (S.H.I.T.S.). Unfortunately, this picture turned out blurry, but I like the colors, a thunderstorm was on the verge of bearing down on the island:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Net Poles at sunset:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hoopers rests just north of another chain of Islands . The last in this island Chain is Hollands Island, once inhabited, now deserted. This abandoned excavator rests on Hollands Island, someone tried to slow down erosion with this machine, but the remote location of Hollands (10 miles from any road), and the harsh salt water beat the machine. Now an osprey calls it home:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My dog, Fin, explores one of the many salt ponds that pock Hoopers interior:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

A great horned owl decided to nest in this spar which marks the channel into the harbor at Hoopersville. Later in the summer, Ospreys drove her away. She did not belong over the water anway:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Perwinlke snails abound in the Island's marshes:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pine trees dominate the landscape. There are few non-conifers on the island:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

My buddy Jeremy Mercer caught this stingray. We used him for bait:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Shannon and I caught these stripers at Sharkfin Shoal, a rockpile at the top end of Tangiers Sound, just south of Hoopers. These fish are small stripers, but keeper sized, and we ate them later that evening:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

We often catch and steam blue crabs. No finer seafood exists. Anyone who wants to subscribe to my guide must enjoy blue crabs:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Hoopers Island Light, there is no lighthouse keeper anymore, but an automated horn and light:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This egret is just one of the many birds that reside on Hoopers:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Workboats on Hoopers Island, waiting for 3 AM the next morning to crab and fish for the Seafood houses of Baltimore:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

MY LAST accomplishment of the 2006 summer is the completion of the Annapolis Ten-Miler. As my first long distance event, I am pleased with my finish of 1215 out of over 5000 participants. I finished it in 84 minutes and 41 seconds. I'm not convinced that long distance running qualifies as fine living.

Here is pic during the run, sorry it turned out so small:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 Comments:

Blogger A&S said...

Your pictures are stunning! Keep 'em coming. And what fish!

9:52 PM  
Blogger A&S said...

Watch out for those stingrays, they are killers.

7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home