Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A Hoopers Weekend

November 3 to 5, 2006:
I spent this last weekend at Hoopers Island, trying to take advantage of the waning fishing season. I arrived Friday night, just before sunset, and ran out into the Honga for a half hour. I found some birds working on fish breaking the surface, and landed a 19 inch striper. As it was getting too dark to see, I called it a night and headed to the club.

Saturday was cold, below freezing in the morning, and the wind was blowing about 15 to 20. I started out early, leaving the house with John Ashton at 6 am. We found no birds, or fish, and at 8 am called the morning. I went back out on my own later in the afternoon. The wind had died, and the conditions seemed right for some more frenzied action with birds on the surface. After about 2 hours of searching, I finally found some birds on fish. As I jammed the boat in gear to race to them, the engine quit, I was out of fuel, and had brought no backup gas cans. So I sat and waited in the river for about an hour before I was able to flag down a waterman who towed me in. So far no fish for the day

Waterman towing Fin and I into the Harbor:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I refueled the boat, and headed out to catch the last of the evening bite, or at least I hoped. I motored up to the causeway, and found fish. I caught a few on my spinning tackle, then switched over to my fly rod, and caught several more.

Causeway at Sunset:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, I went out again with Kendra Richardson. We searched for fish for several hours, and just as we were about to call it a day, we found birds on breaking fish in the middle of the Honga. We both were able to catch a total of about 9 or 10 fish.

Here is another net picture, these things fascinate me:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home